Thread: K3b dropping hidden files

Thanks

Default K3b dropping hidden files

Had backed up to CD via k3b ver 1.63 and while restoring to my new OS found some discrepancies in what hidden files files got saved for root and for a regular user.
    Prepended "." dropped for clearity.
    Found via ls -la but not seen using Thunar on CD:
    1) /root: ICEauthority, Xauthority, bashrc, bash_history, cddb, cddbslave, esd_auth, gtk-bookmarks, lesshst, recently-used.xbel, xinitrc, xinitrc-backup

2) /home/reg_user: ICEauthority, Xauthority, aspell.en.prepl, aspel.en.pws, bashrc, bash_history,gtk-bookmarks, pinerc, recently-used.xbel, screenrc, serverauth.3###, viminfo, vimrc, xinitrc, xinitrc-backup, xscreensaver, xscreensaver-getimage.cache, xsession

Found via ls -la in /reg_user but not in /root:
    3) fontconfig, gqview, links, pan2, pinerc, purple, screenrc, xchat2, xscreensaver, xscreensaver-getimage.cache, xsession, xwmconfig, zenmap

4) Found via ls -la in /root but not in /reg_user:
    dialdir, eboard, fluxbox, gphoto
    I think 4 is explainable possibly by having used the app or an app using the software just for root.
    Number 3 I am pretty sure root should have used or caused the use of xscreensaver*, screenrc and xsession at least.
    Have others found K3b to be dropping hidden files. Since some of the hidden files were saved what caused the others to be omitted? Some of these are serious omissions.
    Can someone explain 1 & 2 discrepancies or any suggestions about 3?
    BTW & FWIW show hidden files is attained via File>Open>Options(a wrench icon) and would someone tell me how to find the place to click on "Save permissions"? I lost my note on it and it is about 6 levels deep.
    Last edited by timtravlr; 10th August 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks

May be it is file permission issue. Are you running k3b as a normal user or root user? Usually, backups are made using root user to a backup media such as tape or dvd. This is done so that it can backup all files and save permission too.
    All [Solved] threads are closed by mods / admin to avoid spam issues. See Howto mark a thread as [Solved]

Thanks

Default K3b dropping hidden files

Yes, all backups run from root. I only save user files and some of roots. Initially I too thought that as root it would have saved permissions but NO! So I went back and grabbed the hidden files after finding a way thru the maze (6-7 levels deep) to click Save Permissions. K3b is on my list now so am looking at my old personally coded program to save next time (unless K3b is fixed with the new release). Still tho hidden programs like .Xauthority and .aspell.en.* were dropped completely. BTW this is release 1.63.

Thread Information