Thread: External Drives

Thanks

Default External Drives

Please look at the attachment. That first drive is mounted and works fine for my data purpose.
    The second drive I only configured to ext3 and gparted added the other obviously based on the other partition.
    That IS NOT the purpose of this post, but rather what must I do in steps please to configure or make ready that second partition to receive a linux OS.
    BIOS is ready, I am ready, help me make external ready
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Hello 77,

You can use the following command to format and prepare your partition for linux.

Please be careful to adjust the command to reflect the new partition and the one you want linux on.

Code:
    sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2
    So if you want /dev/sda1, change the second piece of the command. You can also use gparted to achieve this. But you seem to be wanting the command line version.

Keep the good work, you old dog.........

Jaysunn

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaysunn View Post
    Hello 77,

You can use the following command to format and prepare your partition for linux.

Please be careful to adjust the command to reflect the new partition and the one you want linux on.

Code:
    sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda2
    So if you want /dev/sda1, change the second piece of the command. You can also use gparted to achieve this. But you seem to be wanting the command line version.

Keep the good work, you old dog.........

Jaysunn
    Worked like a charm I even added

chown allen /media/Data2 (or maybe I left 2 off damn being 77 is frustrating

Anyway put a live CD in just to test and at partitioning it recognized our hard work

Remind me sometime to tell you the huge selected cylinder and BIOS compatibility issue Debian helped with. Talk about a process and all because I put a HD in too large for the BIOS

Thanks

Thanks

Hey 77,

May I say, I am truly impressed at your ability and being 77 years young to actually get linux up and running. Not to mention you are performing some expert like tasks with partitioning formatting and other stuff you are working on.

Back when I started with linux. There was a lot of command line work needed to install updates and control the linux machine. Tools like apt-get , Yum etc... were not available. It was all from the termina, solving dependencies when installing software. Let me tell you dependencies stunk and it was tough.

I fell in love with unix/linux when I was employed at a printing company 10 years ago that used Silicon Graphics machines running IRIX. That company had a lot of money and I attended all the IRIX certification classes. From that point I was hooked.

Were you always into computers as a career? Or is this just a hobby of yours?

Jaysunn

Thread Information